I’m leaving for the snowy mountains of Austria tomorrow.
Yes, you’ve read that correctly.
This blogger is going skiing!
You cannot believe how long it has been since my last sky trip to the Alps and I am so terribly exited , I don’t think I will be able to get much sleep tonight due to an exceedingly high level of adrenaline rushing through my body.
Austria is a beautiful country, full of magnificent nature and an über cool abundance of schnapps.
The only thing the Austrian Alps seem to be missing is a high percentage of hot dudes. (This blog is-after all- still called Fashion, Food & Flirts!) Therefore, I will make it my personal goal next week to go and look for sexy Lederhosen-wearing men, to prove to everyone that their prejudice about Austrians is absolutely wrong.
I will make it my quest to look out for men who look like this:
A mountain version of Jesse Williams? It can’t be that difficult, can it?
Or maybe find myself a Captain Von Trapp who looks like this:
I would be happy to sing “the Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music” (even though my voice sounds like a cow with bowel problems) if it meant winning over a Michael Ealy look-a-like!
Not at all!
I would gladly “settle for” a Hiddleston, Cumberbatch or Fassbender …
…if I have to.
I can already predict the potential side-effects:
I’m getting slightly off topic here.
Where was I?
Ah, yes. I’m going skiing!
Which means that I will be spending a lot of time in the snow. In the cold. Possibly freezing my ass off. So in order to prepare myself for all that cold weather and glacial temperatures I cooked myself a heart-warming, super comforting dish.
A bowl of steaming pasta… with an intense stilton sauce… some heavenly-sweet roasted figs… crunchy bitter radicchio… and finally a good sprinkling of chopped walnuts…
Merely describing this dish to you all is making the snow melt, so I think I’m going to stop writing and give you the recipe instead (I still want there to be some snow left when I get there, you know.)
PS: Unfortunately, this also means I won’t be able to blog for at least a week. Sorry folks! But don’t you worry, I’ll be back! (For once, quoting Arnold Schwarzenegger is allowed, since he himself is Austrian 😉 )
Paccheri with Roasted Figs, Stilton and Radicchio
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 100gr paccheri pasta
- 4 figs, cut into quarters
- Large handful of radicchio, sliced into thin strips
- 25gr stilton cheese, plus extra to garnish
- Chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. (keep some of the cooking liquid for later)
- Heat a knob of butter in a pan and fry the figs until slightly charred. Sprinkle on the honey and dried thyme.
- Melt the stilton cheese on top of the al dente cooked pasta and stir in approx. 3 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water to create an even creamier sauce.
- Stir in the roasted figs and just before serving stir through the radicchio.
- Serve the pasta on a large plate and decorate with chopped walnuts and some extra stilton cheese.