In my opinion, London is the most exciting place on the planet when you consider yourself a foodie.
1. It has the best exotic, Asian or Indian restaurants in Europe!
2. Londoners have a sweet tooth and they prefer their cakes BIG and HEAVY instead of dainty and light!
If you are a regular reader of this blog, you will know that simply because of these two reasons London is my idea of food heaven!
During those three short days of pure heaven I’ve eaten a ridiculous amount of food ranging from “pretty damn good” to “blooming brilliant”.
Here are the dishes that truly wowed me:
• A raw vegetable, apple, blue cheese and walnut salad: I wasn’t expecting this salad to be this good but I can honestly say that without a doubt this was the BEST SALAD I have ever tasted! EVER! (@ Electric Diner on Portobello Road)
• A Mediterranean mezze with hummus, tabouleh, tzatziki, falafel, stuffed filo pastry with goat’s cheese and spinach, chicken casserole, lamb casserole, aubergine salsa, Kisir ( a wonderful salad of bulgur wheat, herbs and walnuts!) and many other dishes! (@ Troia near London Eye)
• Korean BBQ (@ Myung Ga near Regent Street): I normally try not to eat meat but SWEET BABY JESUS this was simply too good to resist! The lovely sweet, marinated chicken, pork and beef were delicious together with the noodles, kimchi and sweet and sour spring onions.
• Coffee and walnut layer cake @ Selfridge’s: This was a gigantic slice of cake and it was to die for! The tearoom on the ground floor of Selfridge’s is pretty decadent and upper-class , hence the high prices, but it was worth every penny!
• Amai Udon, duck gyoza and ebi gyoza (@ Wagamama on Earl’s Court): Don’t you just love Wagamama??!! We were in a hurry to catch our train back to Belgium so we didn’t have a lot of time, but that doesn’t mean we ate at KFC or McDonalds! Wagamama, with its very healthy and nutricious fast food, is the best restaurant on the planet if you want to get a quick and super yummy meal!
• Raspberry Cheesecake brownie (@ Hummingbird Bakery on Old Brompton Road) : I have all the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbooks (which I consider the BEST cookbooks on the planet. And I mean it!) so you can imagine how excited I was to finally taste a cake that was made in the bakery itself! Needless to say it was delicious, just look at the picture below: