2014 has arrived. People are expressing wishes to friends and family and are busy drawing up lists with all their New Year’s resolutions. These resolutions can be important if you need to get your life back on track and it is the perfect time to get rid of all your bad habits and acquire some good ones.
Although I believe that these resolutions are an ideal way to get inspired at the dawn of a new year, I also think it can be rather hard to keep them. Life is full of pitfalls and before you know it, your resolutions get tossed into the bin.
This, however, doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing.
Because I have a better idea, dear readers.
Instead of drawing up a list with all the “have tos” and “must dos”, I suggest we make a list of something much more important. Let’s call it the “fuck it” list. A list on which nothing is obligatory. No overambitious bullshit. Just a very personal collection of everyone and everything that can from now on kiss your ass.
Such a list isn’t just much more fun, it is also much easier to keep.
My “fuck it” list goes like this:
- F*** what everyone thinks of me. I’ll be doing whatever I want, wearing whatever I want and eating whatever I want. No more partypoopers telling me what to do and how to behave.
- F*** conformism. I will no longer try to blend in. Me and my awesomeness deserve to stand out.
- F*** meat eaters and global warming deniers. (No need to elaborate on this one)
- F*** Belgian men. They have no balls. Zero. Non.
- F*** perfection. Perfection is unattainable so why bother worrying and stressing about it?
- F*** Stress. Let’s get into the Chill zone.
That last one is my most important “fuck it” item. I am a very stressful person and this year I will do my very best to simply let it go. Stress kills creativity. It suppresses positivity and dreams. But most of all, it’s just not really good for your sleeping pattern or mental health.
So that is why I’m saying F U to stress. And I honestly wish all my dear readers would do the same.
Skip the stress. Drink cocktails instead.
If you keep this simple non-rule in mind, 2014 will be awesome.
To honor the very first week of the new year, I decided to bake a completely stress-free cake. A pina collada cake. Because what could be better than your favourite cocktail turned into a super moist rum and coconut flavour bomb? Nothing, let me tell you that.
So here is my very own “Fuck It, I’m Having a Cocktail” cake.
And have a stress-free 2014!
Pina Collada Cake
- 150ml coconut milk
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 40gr butter
- 150gr fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 120gr plain flour
- 135gr caster sugar
For the rum syrup.
- 100ml rum
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a brownie tin with baking parchment.
- Put the flour, sugar, butter, salt and baking powder together in a bowl and mix until you get a sandy consistency.
- Mix the egg and coconut milk together in a jug and gradually pour into the dry mixture. Mix on high speed until you get a smooth batter.
- Stir in the fresh pineapple and pour the batter into your prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a rum syrup. Bring your ingredients to the boil and let the liquid reduce by half. Once the cake comes out of the oven, pour the rum syrup over the hot cake and let it soak up all the liquid. Let it cool completely in the tin before turning out and cutting it into cute squares.