I think my trip to the South of France and Italy has infected me with the “I want to eat Mediterranean food the entire time” virus.
I am obsessed with Mediterranean food at the moment. Especially vegetarian Mediterranean dishes. (And when I say “obsessed” I do mean “I dream about it when I go to sleep and I even crave olives and feta cheese when I wake up at 6 in the morning” )
Hence the following two recipes.
Believe me, dear readers. These recipes are the sh***. They are sunshine and summer on a plate! And mind you, I’m not saying this because I invented and cooked them myself – I would even praise their deliciousness if they were made by my very own enemy!- but because they are just too awesome not to be replicated by all my followers.
Aubergine and Halloumi tray bake with Pomegranate and aromatic spices
Ingredients (serves 1 hungry person, i.e. me)
- 1 aubergine, cut into 0,5cm slices
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Seeds (or should I say “mesmerizing jewels”?) of ½ pomegranate
- 70gr of halloumi cheese, cut into cubes
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp za’atar
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp Martini (Because no Martini, no party right?)
- 1 tsp honey
- Fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and fry the aubergine and halloumi for a couple of minutes until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper and all the other spices I mentioned in the ingredient list. Transfer to an oven-proof dish.
- In that same pan, fry the shallot for a couple of minutes. Add the honey and martini and a splash of water. Let it simmer until you get a lovely jus. Drizzle the jus over the aubergine and halloumi and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Scatter the pomegranate seeds on top of the dish and put back in the oven for 5 minutes. Before serving, finish with a generous sprinkling of fresh basil.
Grilled Vegetable and Halloumi Filo Pastry Pie
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 4 peppers (different colours, of course)
- 200gr halloumi cheese, thinly sliced (I do love my halloumi cheese)
- 1 large (or gigantic!) Coeur de boeuf tomato, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil
- 6-8 sheets of filo pastry
- Grill the peppers in a hot oven until their skin turns black. Let them cool slightly before removing the burnt skin (to spare your lovely and delicate fingers!) Switch the oven to 200°C.
- Grill the courgette slices.
- Grease a round loose-bottomed baking tin with olive oil. Put approx. 3-4 sheets of filo pastry in the thin, and make sure some of the pastry is hanging over the edges of the tin.
- Now put a layer of courgettes onto the pastry, followed by grilled peppers, halloumi and tomato. Do not forget to season with salt and pepper and make sure you put some basil leaves in the pie as well! Use up all the ingredients and cover the pie with the remaining filo pastry sheets and the edges of the bottom layers. Brush with olive oil and put in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad.