This is an unconventional twist on two of Austria’s most classic desserts: the Apfelstrudel and the Mohntorte.
Think: caramelized and spiced apples mixed together with a poppy seed sponge and drizzled with Schnapps. Things really can’t get more Austrian than that!
WARNING: Eat too much of this cake and you may start to yodel.
- 140gr caster sugar
- 170gr butter
- 2 eggs
- 140gr flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50gr poppy seeds
- 75gr nuts (mix of your choosing)
- 2 tbsp fruity Schnapps (apple or apricot), 2 extra to drizzle over the top
- Heat a knob of butter in a pan and fry the apples with a tbsp. of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon until golden brown.
- Blitz the nuts and poppy seeds together in a blender until you get a fine dust/paste.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Mix the sugar with the butter until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Slowly stir in the flour, baking powder and spices.
- Add the poppy seed mix.
- Stir in the fried apples and add 2 tbsp of Schnapps.
- Pour the batter in a loaf tin and bake for approx.. 50 minutes.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, drizzle on some extra Schnapps (2tbps, or more!)
- Serve with a glass of Schnapps on the side.