Imagine you’re craving something sweet but don’t have a lot of baking ingredients lying around. Imagine you’re hungry. Imagine you’re me.
Well, then you would probably look across the Belgian border and get your inspiration from the French. France is known for its classic and yet simple desserts and tarts, so it would have been absurd not to go in search of some Frenchspiration!
So there I was, sitting in my garden with the sun shining on my face, asking myself one simple question: If I were in the South of France right now, what would I want to eat? As if it were a sign from above, this stupid, annoying fly/bee/ weird-looking-and-flying-kind-of-object started harassing me. I chased it down the garden until the unidentifiable flying object managed to seek asylum in a bush of lavender.
The French Gods had spoken.
Lavender is probably the Frenchiest of things imaginable (Next to croissants and wine of course. ) and it is a marvelous ingredient to cook with. From lavender and honey roasted lamb shanks to lavender and apple tarte tatin. Lavender is something that belongs in everyone’s kitchen, not just everyone’s bathroom.
Apart from the lavender, lemon is the other main flavour in this dainty cupcake. Since I didn’t have fresh lemons lying around, I decided to use my cherished jar of good quality lemon curd instead. It gave the cupcakes a zingy flavour and its sticky richness was hugging my dessert-loving heart.
Lavender and lemon are truly a match made in heaven. C’est l’amour.
Trust me. (The French know a thing or two about love.)
Ingredients (makes 6):
- 1 egg white
- 1 jar of good quality lemon curd
- 1 ½ tsp fresh lavender, finely chopped (plus some extra to garnish)
- 20gr butter
- 60ml milk
- 60gr plain flour
- 70gr caster sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder until you get a sandy consistency.
- Stir in the lavender and pour in the milk. Mix well.
- Add the egg white and whisk until everything is combined. Stir in a tablespoon of lemon curd.
- Pour the mixture into your cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before spreading a generous layer of lemon curd on top. Finally, sprinkle on some extra lavender
- Bon Appétit!