I made my own birthday cake this weekend. Some of you may consider that a terribly pathetic thing to do, because “Who the hell bakes her own birthday cake?” and “ It’s your birthday! People should bake one for you!”
Well, in most cases that is absolutely true, but this is me we’re talking about. I am a baking goddess. And when it is my birthday I want something that will blow me away. And to be quite frank, I’ve never seen a chocolate lime and chili cake in my local patisserie shop. Not to mention the unlikelihood of ever coming across Mojito ice cream in a supermarket!
So I made it all myself. And it was epic.
This homemade birthday dessert was so good, I would almost wish that every day could be my birthday. It is hard to explain the flavour sensation that unexpectedly comes with this example of godlike deliciousness. The chocolate cake is smooth and creamy with an almost mousse-like texture and yet it is so incredibly rich and dense at the same time. It seems almost impossible that a chocolate cake could ever be like this, but it was. It really really was. Add to that a sudden kick of zingy lime and a surprising tingling on your tongue from the chili and you are on your way to foodie heaven.
And now let’s consider the epic no churn Mojito ice cream that complimented this scrummy cake: It’s a Mojito. But a frozen, creamy and lickable version. Ice-cold. With heavenly aromas of fresh lime and mint. And lots and lots of rum.
I based this Mojito ice cream and Nigella’s No Churn Margarita Ice Cream and adapted it to my favourite type of cocktail. Since this ice cream is an easy no churn recipe, you don’t even need to have an ice cream maker!
Imagine a scoop of this boozy and fragrant ice cream on top of that chocolaty dense but smooth cake!
It is surely the best B-Day cake on the planet.
Flourless Chocolate Lime and Chili Cake
- 3 eggs
- 145gr caster sugar
- 175gr dark chocolate
- 100gr butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a small baking tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, chili, lime juice and 85gr of caster sugar together on a low heat in a small sauce pan with 3 extra tablespoons of water. Stir gently to get a smooth liquid. Remove from the heat and set aside for a minute.
- Whisk the eggs together with 60gr of caster sugar until pale and fluffy and tripled in size. (This will take about ten minutes, don’t give up!).
- Quickly pour the chocolate liquid in the egg mixture and stir until everything is incorporated. Don’t overbeat the batter!
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the cake feels set but not firm.
No Churn Mojito Ice Cream:
- 250ml double cream
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 tbsp rum
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 lime
- Pour all the ingredients in a bowl and then softly whip until thick and smooth but not stiff.
- Spoon this into an airtight container to freeze overnight.