A couple of days ago, I had massive amounts of lady finger biscuits lying around in my kitchen. At first, I thought what any other dessert guru would think –Make tiramisu!- but then I started wondering whether there might be something more dangerous I could do with lady fingers. Something more challenging than a tiramisu…
So I ended up calling my best friend, who is an expert on everything Italian: from the language, to the food, to the very yummy men. (You can see why she is my best friend 😉 ) I asked her if she knew any cool and impressive desserts with lady fingers and she immediately exclaimed: “Zuccotto! You have to make Zuccotto!”
So I did. And it was amazing…
For those of you who aren’t an expert in Italian food like my BFF: a Zuccotto is an Italian dessert originating from Florence. It is a dome-shaped flavour bomb made with cake or lady fingers and is traditionally filled with whipped cream, chocolate chips, nuts, candied fruits and all different types of yumminess.
Although a traditional Zuccotto certainly looks impressive, I was still in doubt about the “ordinary” whipped cream filling. There just had to be a more thrilling alternative!( I know, I know, I’m a bit of a snob. )
So then I started thinking: what if I put one of my favourite types of tiramisu inside the Zuccotto???
Long story short, I made a Nutella and raspberry tiramisu but in the shape of a Zuccotto.
I have my moments of pure genius.
Not only did it look absolutely delightful and really impressive, this Italian bombshell is a pure explosion of flavours as well! First, there is the sharpness of the raspberry, then in comes the sweet and comforting creaminess of the nutella and mascarpone filling and to top it all off, the boozy lady fingers drenched in Baileys Coffee turn your throat into a love nest of warm and deep flavours…
Oh yes, if you want to end your meal with a bang, this is definitely the way to go!
PS: I made a somewhat smaller dome, since I knew it would just be me eating it. (Guilty) But if you are expecting friends and family, just double the quantities and you can at least get 9 large portions out of it.
Zuccotto with Nutella and raspberry filling
- Lady fingers
- 150ml Baileys
- 200ml coffee
- Cocoa powder
For the Nutella filling:
- 200gr mascarpone cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 50gr Nutella
- 50gr caster sugar
For the Raspberry filling:
- 200gr raspberries
- 100gr mascarpone cheese
- 25gr caster sugar
- Line a bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Mix the coffee with the baileys and dip each lady finger in the mixture. Line the inside of your bowl with the fingers and make sure they are all snugly side by side to prevent the filling from seeping out.
- For the Nutella mixture, mix the sugar, egg and egg yolk together in a bowl until you get a pale mixture. Stir in the mascarpone and nutella and mix until you get a smooth consistency. Spoon the batter into your dome of lady fingers. The mixture will fill up to three quarters of the dome.
- Put a layer of raspberries on top of the nutella mixture. This will keep both fillings separated.
- Make the raspberry mascarpone filling by mixing the leftover raspberries with the mascarpone and sugar. Spread the mixture on top of the layer of raspberries.
- Now finish the dome by putting a layer of lady fingers dipped in coffee on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Invert the Zuccotto onto a plate and remove the plastic wrap. Dust generously with cocoa powder and dig in!