Once upon a time, in a land for away from here, a beautiful princess sat beside her window, watching how little snowflakes were falling from the sky. As she was working on her paper for American History, she sometimes looked outside at the falling snow. How pretty the dazzling white looked! While admiring this winter wonderland, Snow White said to herself: “If only I had a dear little cupcake as white as the snow, as fragrant as the scent of Douglas fir and with a frosting as sweet as a Christmas song that would help me forget this dreadful research paper.”
As soon as Snow White stepped away from her laptop and entered the great palace that was the kitchen, one beautiful cupcake appeared. Once Snow White realized her wish had come true and that a nutmeg cupcake with eggnog frosting had magically been handed to her on a silver platter, she could not move out of utter joy.
Oh how lovely the taste of rum, singing in the back of your throat! Oh how wonderful the warmth of nutmeg on a cold winter’s day!
When the time came that she had to return to her laptop and continue writing her paper, she felt a combination of sadness and bliss. Sad, for she had already eaten the entire cupcake. Blissful, for the cupcake would always stay on her mind with its impeccable taste and comforting texture.
And so Snow White lived happily ever after. (With the occasional unpleasant interruption of having to write a research paper)
Notes from the author:
1) I am not a beautiful princess, just a girl stressing over her finals.
2) I don’t live in a land for away from here. I live in Belgium.
3) It –unfortunately- isn’t snowing.
4) The cupcake didn’t magically appear, I had to bake it myself.
5) The only truth in this story is the fact that I am writing a research paper (and hate that I have to).
6) The cupcakes were indeed wonderful!
Nutmeg cupcakes with eggnog frosting
Ingredients: (makes 6)
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 40gr butter
- 120gr plain flour
- 140gr caster sugar
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
For the frosting
- 50gr butter
- 100gr icing sugar
- 2 tbsp rum
- Extra nutmeg
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C. Mix together the dry ingredients until you get a sandy consistency.
2) Mix the egg and the milk together in a jug and slowly pour it into the dry mixture. Mix well.
3) Pour the batter into the cupcake tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
4) Make the frosting by mixing the ingredients together. Generously spread the frosting onto the cupcakes once they are cool and sprinkle some nutmeg over the top.