In my humble- but very expert and trustworthy- opinion, this dessert should come with a couple of warnings:
Warning nr. 1: Merely looking at it will make your ass grow bigger
Warning nr.2: Due to the high sugar content, you will most likely need an emergency appointment at the dentist.
Warning nr. 3: This dessert is so easy to make, you are in grave danger of making it too often than is actually good for your physical health.
Ooooooh yes, when it comes to this heavenly creation –concocted by the culinary genius that is me- I simply cannot warn you enough, for this could possibly be the deadliest of all yummy things. This is what I like to call a banoffee cheesecake in a glass: Rich chocolate toffee custard topped with slices of sweet banana, all covered under a dome of chocolate liqueur-flavoured mascarpone cream, finished by a sprinkling of caramelized nuts.
Simply describing the magical content of this bowl, makes my mind do crazy summersaults . It is the atomic bomb of desserts: lethal and destructive.
Boom! And gone were all my good morals
Boom! And gone was my exemplary behaviour
Eating this will make every good girl at least a tiny bit bad. And that is exactly why I love this! Because if the drop-dead gorgeous Neal Caffrey has taught me anything, it is that sometimes (are in my case: every minute of every single day) it is good to be a little bad.
So yeah, this banoffee cheesecake in a glass is dangerous, but it is also –and foremost- darn delicious! And no matter how you twist or turn, you simply cannot deny that in the end that is what desserts are all about.
Forget calories! Forget acute sugar binge headaches!
Be Dangerous! Be Bad!
Neal Caffrey already gives his sign of approval….
Ingredients (makes 4 medium-size glasses)
• 1 banana, cut into thin slices
• Handful of chopped nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts,…)
• 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the chocolate toffee custard:
• 125gr of chocolate toffees
• 15gr corn flour
• 150ml full-fat milk
• 2 tbsp chocolate liqueur
For the mascarpone cream:
• 200gr of mascarpone cheese
• 2 tbsp caster sugar
• 4 tbsp chocolate liqueur
• 1 egg
1. Put the chocolate toffees, milk and liqueur together in a small saucepan and heat on medium heat until all the toffees have melted. Mix the corn flour together with a splash of milk and whisk until you get a gloopy paste.
2. Add the corn flour mixture to the toffee milk and stir until the mixture starts to thicken. Whisk until the mixture has a custard-like consistency.
3. Spoon the custard into your glasses and put them in the freezer to set for about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile make your mascarpone cream. Whisk all the ingredients together. Voila. It’s that simple.
5. Spread the nuts on a baking tray and sprinkle the caster sugar on top. Put under a hot grill for a couple of minutes until the nuts and sugar have caramelized.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. When the caramelized nuts have solidified, chop them into chunks, some small, some big.
7. Take your glasses out of the fridge and put a layer of banana slices on top of the toffee custard. Now spoon a generous layer of mascarpone cream on top.
8. Put back in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until the cream has firmed up.
9. Decorate the banoffee cheesecake glasses with caramelized nuts.