You’re not dreaming, I promise.
Go ahead, pinch yourself.
See? This is not a dream but a beautiful reality. I’m usually reluctant to state that a recipe is deserving of the “simply the best”-stamp, let alone shout its superiority from the rooftops, so when I say these brownies are the best, I truly truly truly mean it.
And what could be better than the best brownies on the planet? Oh wait! The best fat-free brownies, maybe?
These scrumptious, moist and fudgy brownies are totally fat- and gluten-free: No butter. No oil. No flour. Just perfection.
And perfection in this case comes in the form of an avocado. Yes, I’m not joking, an avocado. Instead of the usual butter ( which turns a regular brownie into one of the deadliest desserts to be ever created) I used the equally unctuous, creamy and rich –but far more healthy- alternative: our good friend the avocado.
I know that there are a lot of people out there who hate avocados. They think it’s gross and they would start squealing like a little pig who got stuck with his tail under the wheels of a tractor, as soon as they spot an avocado in the supermarket. To those people I say: Fear not, avocado pussies! Because you cannot – I repeat- you cannot taste the avocado in these brownies at all.
That’s the beauty of this recipe. A lot of healthy alternatives to world famous desserts range between “meh” and “that’s doable if you’re really hungry” on the dessert appreciation scale, and they can never ever reach up to the traditional all-butter-and-sugar version of the dessert. But this recipe? This is it! It makes all other brownie recipes superfluous. I’m never going back to the butter-brownie ever again! Okay, this recipe still contains sugar, but it has no flour and no fat, which in my book means guilt-free scoffing as much as you like!
Before I forget, I made this recipe even more special by sprinkling some coarse sea salt and a pinch of chilli powder over the top before I put the brownies in the oven. This added yet another dimension to an already brilliant brownie.
Ps: the food snobs among you will of course know that an avocado indeed contains fat, but in contrast to butter (i.e. saturated fat), these fats are heart healthy monounsaturated fats, which can help speed up your metabolic rate. Oh and by the way, it also contains lots of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and omega-3. Case closed, I’d say?
Gluten-free avocado brownies
Ingredients (makes 8 brownies)
• 75 gr dark chocolate
• 85gr avocado, mashed
• 50gr ground almonds
• 125gr caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 2 tsp cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a muffin tin with good quality olive oil.
2. Beat together the sugar and eggs until you get a pale and fluffy batter.
3. Melt the chocolate au bain marie.
4. Add the ground almonds and cocoa powder to the egg mixture and gently fold it in.
5. Stir in the melted chocolate and finely add the mashed advocado.
6. Stir well until all the ingredients are incorporated.
7. Spoon the batter into the muffin cases and fill them almost all the way up to the rim (the brownies will rise a bit but will then fall back again(remember: it’s a brownie not a cupcake. It’s supposed to remain flat and dense)
8. (optional) sprinkle some coarse sea salt and chilli powder over each brownie and put in the oven for 15 minutes.
9. Let them cool completely before removing them from the tin.