“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that’s amore”
Amore. Love. That’s probably the best word to describe my incredibly huge infatuation with Italy. And guess what? I’m off to Italy in just a couple of hours!!!
[feel free to be green with envy]
First Lake Garda, where I will spend an entire week enjoying beautiful nature and the sun, discovering cozy Italian villages and eating like a true Italian “Mamma”. Pasta. Pizza. Gelato. Antipasti. Tiramisu. Risotto. Aperol Spritz. Prosecco. My “To eat/drink” –list seems endless! I can’t find the words to express how much I’m looking forward to visiting those wonderfully opulent, vibrant and colourful Italian markets! Smelling melons, tasting local cheeses and shouting “Buongiorno” to everyone who wants to hear it…
After one week in Riva Del Garda, it’s off to Northern Italy, the Dolomites to be precise, where everything will involve serious physical labour. Nothing makes me feel more alive than going hiking in the mountains. That challenge of making it to the top, to feel the fresh air in my longs, to be rewarded with a vast view over the valley and far far beyond…
And of course, let’s not forget the culinary delicacies this area has to offer!
So when I’m back in about two weeks, be prepared to hear all about the amazing food I’ve eaten, the beautiful stuff I’ve seen and the very stylish outfits I’ve worn!
However, this also means that you’ll have to miss me for at least 14 (!!!) days.
[feel free to let out some soft sobs]
I know. What a bummer.
But let’s try to look on the bright side, dear readers. I’ll be back.
[feel free to imagine an Arnold Schwarzenegger- voice with that last sentence]
And I’ll be back crazier than ever! With more Fashion. More Food. And more Flirts!
By the way, let’s not forget who we’re talking about here. Me. And I would never ever leave you empty handed. So before I go, here is the most fantastic and healthy vegetarian lasagna you’ll have ever tasted!
SN: It is very difficult to take an “appealing” picture of a slice of oozing lasagna. I tried. And –let’s be honest- I kinda failed. But I promise you, it looked absolutely divine in reality!
Healthy veggie lasagna
Ingredients (serves 4 very hungry people)
• Lasagna sheets, no-precooking necessary
• 2 medium courgettes, in 0,5 cm slices
• 2 peppers, finely chopped
• 250gr minced seitan (or other vegetarian mince)
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• ½ red chilli, finely chopped
• ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp sweet paprika
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• Lots of fresh basil leaves
• 150gr grated mozzarella
• 500ml passata
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C and brush the inside of a large baking dish with a little olive oil.
2. Heat a ridged grill pan and grill the courgette slices for several minutes on each side until chargrilled, then remove. You’ll have to do this in batches.
3. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and gently fry the onion, garlic and peppers until soft.
4. Add the seitan mince and spices. Fry for a further 3 minutes.
5. Add the passata and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Let it simmer for at least 15 minutes.
6. Spoon a thin layer of the vegetarian ragu on the bottom of your prepared baking dish, then cover with lasagne sheets.
7. Next, layer with courgette slices (leave some room in between the slices, you’ll have to build about 3 layers, so make sure you have enough courgette slices when you reach the top layer. ) Scatter over some fresh basil leaves and season with salt and pepper.
8. Spoon a good layer of the vegetarian ragu on top of the courgette slices. Cover again with lasagne sheets. Repeat this process (step 7 and 8) until you have three courgette- ragu layers.
9. Cover with a final layer of lasagne sheets. Spoon the remaining ragu sauce over the top and sprinkle over a generous portion of grated mozzarella.
10. Bake into the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown and the lasagna sheets are cooked through. If the cheese crust is getting to dark, cover with foil after 15 minutes.