In celebration of Mother’s Day I wanted to bake something truly extraordinary to honor an even more extraordinary woman: my mother. Throughout the years, all my ups and downs, highs and lows and a lot of exam freak-out moments, my mother has always been there no matter what. She is one of my biggest supporters, cheering me on every time I need to jump another hurdle, and is always happy to impart a few words of wisdom.
To show her how grateful and appreciative I am, I decided it was about time to turn the tables and pamper her with a delicious home-made jewel of a pie. This Oh-My-It’s-Mother’s-Day pie is the perfect representation of my mother’s personality: bright, sweet and beautiful.
The pistachio pie crust is not only incredibly pretty with its very seducing green hue, but has the most enchanting flavour imaginable. The smooth mascarpone filling was flavoured with orange zest and amaretto and decorated with lusciously plumb dates and sharp dried cranberries. It is perfect in every possible way…
If you would like to bake this wonderful pie for your wonderful mother – or for someone else you love – here is the recipe:
Mascarpone- orange- date pie with pistachio crust
For the pistachio pie crust:
• 150gr ground pistachios
• 50gr caster sugar
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• 50gr butter
• 1 egg yolk
For the filling:
• 300gr mascarpone
• 1,6 dl double cream
• 4 eggs
• Zest of one orange
• 5 dried dates, quartered
• Handful of dried cranberries
• 1 tbsp corn flour
• 1 tbsp amaretto
• 4 tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C and line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking parchment.
2. For the pie crust, put the ground pistachio, baking powder, sugar and butter in a bowl and beat until you get a sandy consistency. Add the egg yolk and mix through.
3. Press this mixture into the base of the prepared cake tin. Use a tablespoon to flatten and press the mixture down to form a dense base.
4. Bake into the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. For the mascarpone filling, mix together the eggs, sugar, corn flour, cream, mascarpone, amaretto and orange zest until you get a smooth and runny mixture. Pour the mixture onto the baked pistachio crust. Scatter the dried dates and cranberries into the batter (some will sink to the bottom, others while stay on the surface)
6. Bake into the oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and leave to cool slightly before refrigerating for at least one hour.