For those who still think that courgettes can only be used in savory dishes like Mediterranean stews and creamy soups: think again! Just like our humble Mister Carrot, a courgette works perfectly in a heavenly sweet cake! It adds a wonderful moisture to the cake and gives that little extra kick of flavour … sigh… Who would have thought such an “ordinary” squash could be so versatile?
I opted for a courgette and walnut blondie this time. Imagine that moreish moisture of the courgettes doing the Cha-Cha with nutritiously nutty walnuts, dancing the rumba with the sensually sweet white chocolate and performing an energetic jive with a zingy zesty lemon!
If this cake were a dance routine, it would be bigger and better than all the grand finales of all the Step Up movies together!
Courgette and walnut blondie with white chocolate and lemon frosting
For the blondie:
• 150gr courgette, grated
• 150gr caster sugar
• 150gr plain flour
• ½ tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• ½ tsp ground ginger
• 150ml sunflower oil
• 2 eggs
• Zest of one lemon
• 50gr white chocolate, chopped
• 50gr walnuts, chopped
For the frosting:
• 100gr white chocolate
• 25gr natural yoghurt
• Juice of half a lemon
• 50gr icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a 24×14 cm cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Mix together the eggs, oil and sugar until they are all combined.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger and add to the egg mixture in two batches.
4. Lastly, add the grated courgette, chopped walnuts and chocolate and lemon zest, mixing them in thoroughly.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake into the oven for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
6. For the frosting, melt the white chocolate in a pan over simmering water.
7. Mix the icing sugar together with the yoghurt and the lemon juice and stir in the melted chocolate.
8. Cover the top of the blondie generously with frosting and decorate with some walnuts.
9. Cut into little (or giant 😉 ) blondies, depending on how hungry you are.