It was a hard battle, ladies and gentlemen! I had just baked the most ooey gooey brownie goodness in my entire life and all I had to do next was simply cut it in squares and eat it. Sounds easy, right? Well, I can tell you one thing: it was easier said than done! From the second I put my knife in the marshmallow layer I knew something wasn’t right. I should have known that once I was going to start cutting the marshmallows, they were going to stick to my knife, my fingers and practically everything else! For a brief moment my kitchen literally turned into a battlefield! (Imagine the stress I was under! ) But like any brave warrior I overcame my fear and fought back! And I totally kicked the marshmallow’s ass!
Do you want to know what my master plan was? Scissors. Yes, ordinary scissors! (Life can be so simple sometimes! 😉 )
Battles aside, however, these S’more brownies were the most amazing chocolaty gooey treats on the planet! The intense flavour of the brownies worked so well with the buttery sweet biscuit layer and the gooey palate-sticking marshmallows turned the dessert into a true comfort food showstopper!
For the base:
• 200gr digestive biscuits
• 125gr unsalted butter
For the brownie:
• 115gr unsalted butter
• 120gr dark chocolate
• 190gr muscovado sugar
• 130gr caster sugar
• ½ tsp salt
• 4 eggs
• 140gr plain flour
For the topping:
• 400gr large white marshmallows
1. Line one 20×30 cm baking tray with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. To make the biscuit base, blitz the biscuits in a blender into crumbs and melt the butter I a small pan. Pour the melted butter into a bowl with the biscuit crumbs and stir through. Set aside.
3. To make the brownies, place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until melted.
4. In another bowl add the sugar and salt and pour the melted chocolate into the bowl. Stir to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
5. Add the eggs and beat vigorously to make a shiny batter.
6. Sift in the flour.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and sprinkle the biscuit crumb mixture over the top.
8. Bake for 30 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out mostly clean.
9. Place the marshmallows in a row on top of the baked brownie and place bake in the oven for 3 minutes to soften the marshmallows. Then carefully toast the marshmallow under the grill.