It is truly a dream come true! The streusel is crunchy, buttery and full of flavour and the sweet cinnamon swirl gives the cake a beautiful marble effect. The texture of the streusel works incredibly well with the light and too-easy-to-eat cake. Thanks to the addition of soured cream, the sponge was gorgeously moist and rich. Light and rich at the same time? How could that ever be possible?
Just bake it! You’ll see what I mean! 😉 I know that the cake may look terrifyingly difficult to some of you, but it was actually pretty easy to make. Or to quote Paul Coelho: “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
Maple & Walnut Streusel Cake
For the Streusel:
• 50gr moscovado sugar
• 80gr plain flour
• 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 45gr unsalted butter
• 80gr chopped walnuts, plus extra to decorate
For the sponge:
• 115gr unsalted butter
• 170gr caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 200gr soured cream
• 280gr plain flour
• 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• Pinch of salt
• 75ml maple syrup, to drizzle
For the glaze:
• 50gr icing sugar
• 2 tbsp maple syrup
• 1 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 170° en grease a Bundt cake tin with butter.
2. To make the streusel, place the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the butter and rub the mixture together using your fingertips until it forms a crumble. Add the chopped walnuts. Set aside.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar for the sponge until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the soured cream.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter.
5. Sprinkle half the streusel mixture into the base of the tin and top with half of the cake batter. Sprinkle the remaining streusel mix on top and then top with the remaining batter.
6. Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes. Take out of the oven and while the cake is still warm, drizzle over the maple syrup. Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
7. Make the glaze by mixing the icing sugar, maple syrup and water together. You should get a smooth and runny glaze.
8. Turn the cooled cake out into a rack, so that it is streusel-side up. Drizzle the top of the cake with the glaze and sprinkle over some chopped walnuts.
9. Remember: Dreams do come true as long as you believe!