It might not be scientifically proven, but chocolate and ginger have been considered aphrodisiacs for centuries thanks to their intoxicating aromas. Will these chocolate and ginger cupcakes bring passion into your relationship? Well, I guess you better strap on that apron and find out for yourself! 😉
Nonetheless, these cupcakes are simply too tasty not to try at home! The fiery warmth of the ginger blends so well with the bittersweet chocolate and leaves a mouthwateringly peppery tingle at the back of your tongue.
This recipe comes from the brand new Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook “Home Sweet Home” , but staying true to my rebellious side, I adapted the recipe ever so slightly. I used almond milk instead of whole milk, which gave the cupcakes a more intense flavour and makes them vegan-proof.
Ready to spread some love? Here are the ingredients (makes 6 large cupcakes):
For the Sponge:
• 35g unsalted butter (or vegan alternative to butter)
• 85g plain flour
• 125g caster sugar
• 25g cocoa powder
• ½ tbsp baking powder
• ½ tsp ground ginger
• Pinch of salt
• 100ml almond milk (or whole milk if you prefer)
• 1 egg
• 3 tsp finely chopped stem ginger
For the Frosting:
• 100g icing sugar
• 15g cocoa powder
• 25g butter
• 2 tbsp almond milk
• 1tbsp chopped stem ginger
• Crystallised ginger for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Mix the butter, flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, ground ginger and salt together until you get a crumb-like consistency.
2. Mix together the egg and the almond milk.
3. Gradually pour the liquid into the crumb mixture and mix thoroughly until combined.
4. Mix trough the chopped stem ginger.
5. Spoon the batter into your cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Make the frosting by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl.
7. When the cupcakes are cool, spoon a generous amount of frosting onto each cupcake and top each of them with a couple of pieces of crystallised ginger.
8. Eat the Love. Feel the Love. Spread the love. You have been warned!