If you don’t know what to have for dinner this evening, maybe this recipe will inspire you. It is perfect for a Tuesday evening when the last thing you want to do is cook. But please, forget those dreadful ready meals, this impressive looking dish isn’t just very simple to prepare, it will also be before you in less than 15 minutes! These udon noodles with minced beef, shrimps and a sweet mirin sauce are both filling and super healthy. What more could you possible want? You don’t even have to resort to ready-chopped vegetables (oh horror!) or bottled sauces .(oh horror!) Mouth-watering Asian flavours at the speed of light! (If you don’t believe me, use a stopwatch!) That is what I like to call “speedy comfort in a wok”!
Ingredients (serves two hungry noodle freaks) :
• 400gr udon noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
• 200gr minced beef
• Approx. 12 shelled shrimps
• Mini pak choi
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 1 tablespoon muscovado sugar
• 2 tablespoons fish sauce
• Fresh coriander and chopped fresh chilli to decorate
1. Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large wok and stir fry the onion and garlic.
2. Add the minced beef and the chilli powder and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the shrimps, pak choi, mirin, sugar and fish sauce and –again- stir fry for a couple of minutes (See how easy this recipe is? 😉 )
4. Add the noodles, give it a quick taste and see if needs more seasoning or not.
5. Top your noodle dish with some crunchy beansprouts, fresh coriander and chilli.